Thursday, October 4, 2018

Post 7... Tea, Fire and Romans 12:11-13



               
     

Romans 12:11-13 New International Version (NIV)

11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.         


When my family and I first attended our church I became happily on fire for The LORD. The feeling of utter joy from learning the WORD filled my soul. I looked forward to church throughout the week and when service was over I would ponder and go over the sermon and share the new information I learned. I  studied the word every chance I got. Church members became my church family.

Later on I attended women's bible study and happily did "homework" every night.  My eyes and (more importantly) my heart was opened and ready to receive and share. On Feb 5th 2012 I was baptized for the second time in my life. The first was a decision lovingly made for me by my parents and the second was my own decision to follow Christ for the rest of my life.

I volunteered my time. I wanted to show my church how much they meant to me and how grateful I was to them for embracing my family and I. More importantly I felt the pull from God to do more and I gladly did so. I felt a hunger to do more, to learn more about God's word and God filled my thoughts and heart.

Throughout the years I have seen that happen to a few other members. Recently a new family joined and the mom has that fire. She is happy and joyful. She and her family jumped right in to church and she even volunteered at the christian camp the kids attend. She LOVED it!!!

Every week I see her joyful and excited. She sings at the top of her lungs and I can tell that she looks forward to being in church every week. That makes me so happy... and if I'm honest maybe a bit envious.

I was that woman not so long ago.Where did my fire go? In the Bible verse above it states to" keep your spiritual fervor". That means keep that fire burning for God. Was I losing that fire? I LOVE God, but has it become like a marriage of 25 years? Comfortable and predictable? 

It happens...to the best of them...the fire starts to die down a bit....not out. The golden embers are still bright but the heat is not as high. We question..."wait, what happened?"

What changed?

Sometimes we blame others...Pastors, church members. Maybe there has  been a big change in your life and feel that God is far away.

He's not.

It just might be you.

Think about it....

When you have a nice bonfire and it crackles and rises. It's bright red and orange. It warms you and makes you feel good. As long as you feed it it maintains its brightness and warmth. When you stop adding wood to the fire; it dims.

So how do we get that fire back? 

                                    We feed the flame. 

We continue to go to church. We join a bible study... and like it says in the Bible verse above "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality."

 Spend time with God and His word everyday even if its just a a verse. Join a bible study and learn about and understand His word more. Share this love with others.  Help those that need a hand...volunteer (and nothing is too small a task).  We have someone who makes sure the tiny pencils are placed in the seat backs for church members to use on Sundays...that's important and so beautiful  because she does it in The LORD's name. And don't forget to share your heart and concerns. Have others pray for you. There is great comfort in knowing that others are lifting you up in prayer...and don't forget to pray for others too. Strength is often the result. 

If you feel that God is far...remember He didn't walk away...maybe you did. Its OK though...No matter how far you feel...all you have to do is turn around and He is right there....turn around.

God loves you.

Stay warm in HIS love!

Blessings, Joanne

        

   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for taking time to comment!

It's Friday... But Sunday's a Coming!