Friday, May 18, 2018

Post 3...Tea with Matthew 17:14-20...Faith and a Donut Recipe


I love tea cups and I am always looking for new ones to purchase. Right beside this one is a homemade donut. OK, the easiest recipe EVER! I'll post it at the end....and it's super yummy.


Every Wednesday there is a bible study at our church called Faith and Family. Families start at the main church with a prayer and song. Then the topic is introduced or continued. At this time the small children and youth group go into their rooms to discuss with leaders the same verses. 
This week it was Matthew 17:14-20
       

Jesus Heals a Demon-Possessed Boy
14 When they came to the crowd, a man approached Jesus and knelt before him. 15 “Lord, have mercy on my son,” he said. “He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water. 16 I brought him to your disciples, but they could not heal him.”
17 “You unbelieving and perverse generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me.” 18 Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed at that moment.
19 Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”
20 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”


The leader for the night asked “Now who do you think Jesus was talking to?” 
Some said he was talking to everyone, some said he was talking to his disciples. Then the conversation went in the way of faith and what faith can do. They talked and asked about faith so powerful that a mustard seed’s worth ( mustard seeds are insanely small) could move mountains. 

Now, dear reader I am always very quiet during bible studies. I’m surrounded by people who can quote scripture and it’s meaning all day long. I cannot. And I have the additional gift of stammering and forgetting words when nervous so.... there ya go. 

I did not see what everyone was talking about. From the verses I got that Jesus was a teacher who was trying tough love on his students. I thought he was saying something like “ oh come on, haven’t we done this a million times? You should know this already! Have some faith here! Just a little bit and you could do this!”

I mean imagine if you were the disciples and there is the Dad who brought his son for help and you couldn’t help at all. There’s Jesus saying “ seriously?! You couldn’t help him?” They might have felt a bit ashamed and at the same time felt a push to take that leap of faith and do better.

Jesus was trying to push them to realize that they should be ready to do what they had seen so many times before.
How many times have we spoken like this to our own children. We push them a bit to fly on their own. 
“Come on” we say "I know you can do this by now!"  After the study I spoke of my thoughts about the story to my husband. He said "That's a good point, why didn't you raise your hand to speak about it?"

The fact was that I felt scared to open my mouth. I didn't want to appear stupid or have someone counter my opinion with historical facts or cross-referencing with other verses. I didn't want to take the chance. I didn't feel ready.

But I was dear reader, I was. 

I just didn't have faith.

Not a mustard seed worth of faith.

But next time....I will. 


What is your take on the verse? Did anything jump out at you? 

I would love to know.

Have a beautiful day...and remember God Loves you sooooo much!





Recipe for the easiest home made donuts ever!

Buy a tube of biscuit dough. I don't use the flaky but I will try it next time. Even though I used the big tube this time I suggest using the smaller one.

butter

cinnamon 

sugar

oil


Fill a pan till about 1/2 inch-3/4 inch full of oil

if using big tube...cut out holes in the middle. if using the small tube you can leave it whole or even cut it in half for a cool shape.

fry both sides until golden brown

at the same time melt some butter in a pot.

pour sugar and cinnamon mixed onto a plate or bowl

when donut is done dip both sides in the butter then dip both sides in the sugar and cinnamon mixture....and voila!!! Done!!!
The one I made in the picture was a bit too well done but it was still yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for taking time to comment!

It's Friday... But Sunday's a Coming!